In this assignment, you are required to conduct a mini research project in applying the translation theories introduced in this unit into a case study on a piece of Chinese/English translation work. The translation work could be either into or from Chinese. In this project, you are urged to employ other theories than the ones you have reviewed in Task 2 (Theory:Equivalence and the Equivalent Effect). Your assignment should cover
– background of the translation work and relevant theories,
– discussion of the analysis, and
– implications for translation research or practice.
You should devote about one third of your assignment to each of these areas within the word limit of 2,000.
1) Traditional Chinese translation theories
2) Equivalence and equivalent effect
3) Translation as product and process
4) Functional theories of translation
5) Discourse analysis approaches to translation
6) Systems theories
7) Cultural and ideological turns
8) The role of the translator
1. The project data
Here ‘data’ refer to the original text and its translation that you choose to analyse for the project. We expect that your data size is manageable for this mini project with 2,000 words. You are NOT expected to analyse a whole book like “Hong Lou Meng” or “Xi Youji” for this project. As I have mentioned in the workshop, a shorter or more specific piece of translation, e.g. a chapter of a book, a specific aspect (e.g. names of people or place), or the paratexts would be more appropriate for this project.
2. Implications for translation research or practice
In this section, you should discuss how your analysis of the translation in Section 2 has enhanced your understanding of translation and would shed lights on your future research or translation practice.