The essay should demonstrate a student’s ability to integrate and synthesize course concepts with selected readings to communicate his/her understanding of financial management concepts their application in organizations. The essay should also demonstrate a student’s ability to communicate as a manager. This includes proper writing style, organization, grammar, and spelling, as well as integration of course-related material. The writing style must follow the Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association , 5 th edition. Citations for online sources should include the online address (URL) and access date as well as the citation for the specific reference.
Research for the paper may be conducted online using the UMUC online library as the primary source. Do not use abstracts, use full-text articles. Publications that may be relevant for the topics listed below include: Strategic Finance, The Journal of Business Finance and Accounting, CFO Magazine, Nonprofit World, Harvard Business Review, or other accounting and financial journals.
The paper should:
• Be based on your reading and research relevant to the topic.
• Be 5 to 6 double-spaced pages, plus appendices, exhibits, and references.
• Include a one-page Executive Summary immediately following the title page that includes a statement of the major issue(s) and your conclusions and specific recommendations. The content of an Executive Summary is similar to an abstract.
• Properly cite reference sources: these may include course material, information from magazines, journals, and online sources. All reference sources must have a publication date within the last three years. Students who wish to use an older source publication should contact the instructor with the request and reason.
1. Capital Budgeting, Net Present Value, and other Decision Tools – Write an essay that analyzes the pros and cons of the commonly used measures ( NPV, IRR, PI, MIRR, DPB) and come to a conclusion based on the literature that you surveyed as to which methods are theoretically correct and those popular. Emphasize real-world practices of capital budgeting methods, including project approval processes. Synthesize the discussions in published research.