Public Health Implications of Disater (core requirement) & Homeland Security (elective course).
As per our recent message, I have this order for week 2 belonging to the course of for the program of my master which is Disaster Medicine and management.
– I will start with the course description (taken from the syllabus I’ve sent you before): The purpose of this course is to develop an understanding of the concepts of public health as they relate to disaster management. The student will apply Noji’s five phases of a disaster to actual public health disaster events during the last 25 years. The course will focus on what preparedness actions are necessary to safeguard the health of citizens and emergency personnel during a disaster event, as well as public health disaster response and investigation. Public health issues in disaster management that are covered include water and food supply disruption and contamination, waste disposal, environmental pollution and infectious disease outbreaks. The basic principles of epidemiology and health surveillance will also be reviewed. Statistical epidemiology will not be covered in this course due to the limited time allotted to give a taste of material which, in its full form does fill an entire master’s of its own.
– The required Textbooks for this course (please see the syllabus): Required: Textbooks: 1. Ciottone, Gregory – Disaster Medicine, (2015) ISBN – available on line through library. 2. Landesman, Linda – Public Health Management of Disasters – The Practice Guide, 3rd Edition (2012) ISBN #0-87553-004-4 3. Wisner, B and Adams, J. – Environmental Health in Emergencies and Disasters – A Practical Guide, (2003) World Health Organization ISBN #9789241545419 4. Koenig and Schultz—Disaster Medicine: Comprehensive Principles and Practice, (2011) Cambridge University Press The topic of this week, Wk 1: Introduction to Public Health
– THE RESOURCES (Reading Assignments) OF THIS WEEK: (PLEASE USE SOME OF THEM WHEN DOIN G THE ASSIGNMENT OF THIS WEEK):
1. Landesman chapter 3: Structure and Organization of Health Management in Disaster Response
2. Landesman chapter 5: Hazard Assessment, Vulnerability Analysis, Risk Assessment and Rapid Health Assessment
3. Wisner chapter 3: Predisaster activities
1. Howard Champion, et al. The State of US Trauma Systems: Public Perceptions Versus Reality?Implications for US Response to Terrorism and Mass Casualty Events.s1072751506013184.pdf (I WILL ATTACH IT AS (FILE 1)
2. The Future of Emergency Care in the United States: The Institute of Medicine Subcommittee on Prehospital Emergency Medical Services.11629_EXS.pdf (I WILL ATTACH IT AS (FILE 2)
3. Institute of Medicine. The Future of Emergency Care in the United States Health System.IOM Future of Emergency Care.pdf (I WILL ATTACH IT AS (FILE 3)
4. Jon Mark Hirshon, et al. Emergency Medicine and the Health of the Public: The Critical Role of Emergency Departments in US Public Health. ED public health relationship (I WILL ATTACH IT AS (FILE 4)
The assignment of this week, Week 2, is as follows:
Discuss common themes across the assigned journal articles relative to public health preparedness from the emergency and disaster healthcare perspective.
Many of you without a clinical background will be shocked or dismayed by some of the findings here. Those of you who already work in the healthcare sector may not. Regardless, the objective here is to generate a discussion where everyone learns new information.
Therefore, keep in mind the overall instructions for completion of discussion boards. Those of you who post later should not be writing exactly the same information as the students who post first. Read what has already been written and strive to paint a different picture, cite new references, add something to the discussion that nobody else has found or take a dissenting point of view.
(NOTE: YOU WILL FIND THE FOUR ATTACHMENTS FOR THE ARTICLES MENTIONED IN THE QUESTIONS)
– Please follow ALL the previous instructions AND USE THE ARTICLES (SEE ATTACHMENTS) MENTIONED IN THE QUESTION.
NOTE: Please take care of this assignment regardless of number of pages.
Please also use the number of references appropriate for this assignment questions but if it is possible and the nature of questions allows, use at least 3 or 4 references and do use some of the references mentioned in the reading assignments of this week, as the professor mentioned. Best regards!