Section A 1500 words
1. Select a BRICS or N-11 country that is NOT China. If you were to advise a company from a developed country on the choice of entry mode when entering that emerging market economy, what choice of entry mode would you recommend? Use the Doing Business data of the World Bank and the Global Competiveness Report of the World Economic Forum, as well as other measures, such as cultural distance etc., to justify your recommendation. You should contextualise your work as you see fit.
2. Research available information on Tesco, the UK retailing organisation, in China. You should search for information from a range of sources, both academic and otherwise.
Write a short report for an imaginary Manager discussing Tesco’s approach in China. Your report should include:
• The background to the important issues as you see them
• Rationale for Tesco’s approach in China
• An evaluation of Tesco’s approach in China
In your work, you shouldn’t, merely present the information obtained through your research. Instead, you should also critically analyse the information, and suggest reasons for the success or failure, as you see it, in light your knowledge of the international business literature.
Section B 1500 words
1. Debate the arguments for and against differing levels of ethnocentric management for international organisations. You should illustrate your points with contemporary examples, wherever possible.
2. Compare and contrast the resource based and institutional views, and comment on the extent to which each complements the other in informing international organisations. You should justify your position using your knowledge of the issues gained from your lecture readings and beyond