1. Review and comment on the DSM 5 criteria for substance substance use disorder.
2. Now compare and contrast the criteria, which is based upon and adults and discuss whether or not the criteria is appropriate and applies to
3. Finally identify behaviors, common to adolescents, that you would classify as “addictive behaviors” and provide a rationale to suppport your
perspective (based on your assigned readings and other empirical sources).
Please post a response, and remember to respond to two other people’s postings. Responses should include more than simply “agree” or “disagree”;
provide enough initial information and feedback to stimulate discussion and foster critical thinking.
Be sure to refer to your assigned readings and other empirical sources in both your main post and your responses to others.
This module will provide students with the DSM 5 diagnostic criteria for substance use disorders. Students will examine the criteria to determine how
well it applies to both adolescent and adult substance users, then will apply the current DSM 5 criteria to two case studies.
At the end of this module, you should be able to:
1. Articulate the DSM 5 criteria for substance substance use disorders and articulate how severity of a SUD is determined.
2. Compare and contrast the criteria, which is based upon and adults; and discuss whether or not the criteria is appropriate and effectively applies to
3. Review the criteria for gambling and other potential addictive disorders and provide a rationale for inclusion or exclusion of behavioral
disorders/addictions in the DSM 5.
4. Analyze the DSM 5 criteria for substance use disorders and compare and contrast said criteria to both the adolescent and adult population using
provided case studies.
Assigned Chapter(s) in Adolescent Addiction: Epidemiology, Assessment and Treatment by Essau.
Module Content Guides.
Terminology of Substance Use Disorder (New Window)
The Essence of Drug Addiction by Alan Leshner (New Window)
Complete the assigned readings
Using the readings, address the discussion question and engage in discussion with fellow students
Complete the assigned application paper
Consider and discuss the criteria for abuse and dependence as it is formulated in the DSM V and compare and contrast the criteria as it applies to both
adolescent and adults; consider whether or not the criteria is appropriate for both adult and adolescent populations.