General Term Paper
1) Select endocrine gland, hormone, and endocrine based clinical condition.
2) 12 references with at least 10 being from peer-reviewed journals
Please organize the paper in the following order, using the following as Headings, then subheadings (in bold):
A) Short Intro paragraph about what the paper is about (1page)
B) Anatomy and physiology of the gland with figures that produces/secretes your hormone. Include a figure of the molecular structure of your hormone; if a peptide, then primary amino acid sequence and secondary structure will suffice.
C) Answer pharmacodynamics and pharmacokinetics of the hormone if applicable.
Is the hormone bound to plasma proteins?
How is it degraded?
How is it metabolized?
What are the metabolic end-products?
What is the half-life, volume of distribution, and clearance of the hormone?
How is the hormone regulated? (pos or neg feedback)
Is the hormone regulated by other hormones?
Is the hormone regulated by a particular physioligical condition. ( hungry state for glucagon; time of day for cortisol of melatonin?)
What are the receptors for the hormone: Cytosolic , nuclear, membrane-bound? Dimer? Monomer? How are these regulated?
Note: Figures would be greatly aid in the presentation(e.g. metabolic pathways of the hormone)
What condition (e.g. progesterone in menstrual cycle, insulin in diabetes and obesity) involves the hormone?
D) A short paragraph of closing remarks.
Term Paper. The term paper should be 12 typed, double-spaced pages, reviewing the most current literature on an endocrine-related topic. You may use books, but not as primary sources, and only to clarify concepts in your mind. Possible topics might be, but are not limited to:
• The roles of leptin and ghrelin in satiety
• The molecular basis of insulin-stimulated glucose uptake
• The effects of (intense) regular exercise on the maintenance of diabetes
• The role of estrogen in calcium homeostasis
• The molecular reasons of estrogen (hormone) replacement therapy
• Anabolic effects of growth hormone
• Regulation of growth hormone
• Steroid hormone pharmacology (e.g., for inflammation)
• Melatonin and circadian rhythms
• Iodine regulation in the thyroid
• Insulin-like growth factor (be more specific)
• The roles of glucagon and insulin in blood glucose balance
• The effects of anabolic steroids on testosterone production
• Any hormone-based disease (e.g., diabetes mellitus, PCOS)
• Any hormone-based condition (e.g., what happens during aging, hirsutism)
If you have another topic in mind, but aren’t sure of its appropriateness, please clear it with me first.
References List and corresponding in-text citations required. Be sure you make the appropriate citations (e.g., experimental findings from the literature) in the text of your paper. Each reference MUST be cited SOMEWHERE in the text/figures/tables of the term paper. And vice versa: each reference cited in the paper itself MUST appear in your References List.