1) What did Durkheim mean when her referred to the ‘Collective conscience’? Why did he think this was important for understanding Crime and deviance.
2) Describe Merton’s theory of ‘Strain’ as an explanation of crime and deviance in society.
3) Why did Shaw and Mckay think that delinquency was concentrated in particular geographical areas?
4) In relation to Albert Cohen’s theory of ‘subculture’, how does the experience of ‘Status frustration’ relate to deviance?
5) In terms of labelling theory, why is what happens after a deviant act, just as important as what happens before, when we are trying to understand deviance?
(around 300 words for each including 2/3 references for each)