Choose one of the following texts:
1. “Daddy” by Sylvia Plath p. 703 – 706
2. “The Negro Speaks of Rivers by Langston Hughes p. 654
3. “Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening” by Robert Frost p. 626, p. 627
Answer the following questions in paragraph format focusing on analyzing poetic elements using the 5
methodological levels of inquiry described in The Broadview Introduction to Literature – Concise Edition
(Chalykoff, L., Gordon,N., & Lumsden, P., (2015, p. xxiv – xxxii):
1. Level One: Evaluation – Do I like this text? What is my gut reaction to it?
2. Level Two: Interpretation – What is the text about?
3. Level Three: Description – What does the text look like, at least at first glance? Can you give a
quick account of its basic formal features?
4. Level Four: Analysis – How are particular formal features working, especially as they interact with
5. Level Five: Critical Analysis – How do the formal elements of a literary work connect with what
the work has to say to the reader?
Note: Please refer to the rubric at the end of this document for evaluation details.
1. The paper should be maximum 500 words or 2 pages double-spaced (not including references
and title page).
a. 12 point Times New Roman font
b. 1 inch document margins
c. Numbered pages
3. MLA style is to be used consistently throughout the assignment.