Topic: Concept Analysis on aggression in emergency room
Order type: Coursework
Assignment: Concept Analysis Paper
Overview: Concept Analysis Paper
Write a Concept Analysis paper in which to develop a detailed analysis of a concept of your choice.
This assignment is a formal paper following APA editorial style (6th ed.)
• Your paper is to be no more than 15 pages in length (excluding reference list and title page).
• There should be no grammatical or spelling errors.
Components of the Paper
Include the following sections; use the section titles as headings with the exception of the introduction.
Title Page: Use the College of Nursing guidelines for the title page.
Introduction: On the first page of the body of the paper, repeat the title of the paper and begin your first paragraph of the introduction. According to APA, do not use a heading for the introduction paragraph.
Review of Literature:
The review of the literature section includes information from each reference that provides the context for how the author or authors used the concept, but the emphasis is on the antecedents, criteria, and consequences that you identified.
• Avoid direct quotations by rewording what you found and citing the source.
• One suggestion is to write a short paragraph for each reference in a particular discipline. Then review these "blips" to synthesize what the authors from that discipline said. The ideas presented in a good review of the literature flow smoothly.
• Organize your review by disciplines or bodies of literature. Present the information found in the references. End each section with a summary of common antecedents, criteria, and consequences from that discipline.
Write a summary of your review that compares what you found out about the concept across the disciplines.
Antecedent, Criteria, and Consequences Table:
Provide a three-column table with your final list of antecedent, criteria, and consequences that you have synthesized and condensed from your review.
• The headings of the columns should be antecedents, criteria, and consequences.
• A word or phrase can only be in one column. For example, if you listed stress as an antecedent for coping, you cannot also list stress as a criterion.
I chose to write about the concept of aggression, more specifically aggressive behavior in adult patients in the Emergency Room. Aggression is defined as behavior aimed at causing harm or pain, psychological harm, or personal injury or physical distraction as per the New Oxford American Dictionary. As a staff member in the ER I have been exposed and also witnessed hospital staff exposure to aggressive or violent behavior from patients and family far too many times. I often find myself asking, why do they act like that? I take this opportunity to do some research on the topic and answer some of my questions. Some of the provoking factors below maybe identified but other times the signs are not recognized.
Antecedent Attribute Consequence
Frustration Ignored Loss of control
Long waiting times volume Anger
Pain Untimely response suffering
Stress Lack of support Poor decision making
N5327- Analysis of Theories in Nursing 2010
• The condensed list in your paper can be single words or short phrases to describe these essential elements.
• You are aiming for as short a list as possible that will still be comprehensive enough to describe the essential elements. Usually that means you will have four to six antecedents, four to six criteria, and four to six consequences.
• The words or phrases on the list must describe the concept across the disciplines.
Rationale: The rationale for selection section is where you explain how you got to your final list.
• You may have generated long lists of potential antecedents, criteria, and consequences as you reviewed the literature that you have collapsed into the final condensed list.
• Discuss why you chose the specific antecedents, criteria, and consequences listed in the above columns. This is very important, because it helps explain the process of synthesis that went into this activity.
• Discuss how you did this and give rationale for what you included and did not include.
Theoretical Definition: The theoretical definition of the concept comprised of your criteria linked together in a sentence.
• This definition should include all of the criteria.
• If you find you have to use other descriptive words to make the definition make sense, consider the possibility that these words may be criteria.
• This definition should flow from and be the culmination of the work you have done in the analysis. Be sure the definition tells what the concept is.
Operational Definition: Provide an operational definition of the concept with empirical indicators.
• The operational definition should be congruent with the theoretical definition, but will be much narrower and only true in specific situations.
• The operational definition is how you can see the criteria of the concept in a specific clinical situation or measure the concept in a research study. The operational definition may not be applicable for all uses of the concept. An operational definition for shock might include physiological symptoms that have to be present to make a diagnosis. An operational definition of coping might be a person’s score on the Ways of Coping Scale by Folkman and Lazarus.
Conclusion: Conclude the paper with a summary that focuses on the conclusions you have drawn from the concept analysis.
• Specifically talk about the questions or issues this analysis has raised. For example, a concept analysis of caring might raise the issue of whether caring can be taught in nursing school.
• Elaborate on what you have learned about this concept that you will be able to use in your practice. Describe specifically what you have learned that you can apply in practice by providing an example of your concept in clinical practice
Checking your paper
• Edit your paper for grammatical and spelling errors.
• Compare what you have written to the guidelines for the paper.
• Be sure that you have included all the sections of the paper.
• Be sure you have addressed each question on the guidelines in the appropriate section.
PLACE AN ORDER TODAY & GET 15% DISCOUNT (CODE GAC15)