For this nation to be truly successful in the ongoing fight against crime, many argue that the exclusionary rule needs to be abolished. Others argue that the U.S. Supreme Court has already eroded the Fourth Amendment and the exclusionary rule significantly, and nothing more needs to be done. The task for your group is to recommend, as a group, a policy position on the subject of the exclusionary rule. Should the exclusionary rule be expanded, contracted, or should it remain in its current state?
Your instructor will divide you into small groups of 4–5 people. You are to use the Small Group Discussion Board to discuss and debate the issues in this task. On the Small Group Discussion Board, using the Library, Internet, or any other available materials, complete the following:
- Make a post of 5–7 paragraphs discussing the exclusionary rule.
- What is the purpose of the exclusionary rule? Explain.
- Explain the fruit of the poisonous tree doctrine. Why is it considered important?
- Currently, do you feel the exclusionary rule limits law enforcement in their ability to fight crime? If so, do you believe the current limitations to be too much? Explain.
- With regard to the U.S. Constitution and civil liberties, what are the arguments for and against the exclusionary rule? Explain.
- Do you believe the exclusionary rule should be kept as it is, kept and modifies, or gotten rid of? Explain your position.
For this assignment, you need to do more than just comment on the other group members’ posts. Each group member needs to engage in a conversation with each of the other group members.
A conversation in this context means that you engage back and forth for at least 3 posts each. All posts must be substantive, meaning they must initiate or continue a dialogue.
Find a recent case (2011 to the present) dealing with the exclusionary rule. Address the following in 300–500 words:
- The basic facts of the case including the state, city, and whether the original trial court was a state or federal court
- The legal issue(s) the court dealt with in the case
- The court’s ultimate legal ruling in the case
- Do you agree with the court’s ruling? Why or why not?
All sources must be referenced using APA style. You should post your individual portion to the Small Group Area, not to the general submitted files area.
After the group has debated the issue in accordance with the minimum requirements and to the group’s satisfaction, the group must reach a consensus or compromise position. You are to deliver the group’s recommendation as to whether to keep as is, keep and modify, or get rid of the exclusionary rule. The recommendation of 600–800 words should consist of a report detailing the group discussion, including the following:
- Explanations of initial positions taken by group members and highlights of the ensuing debate
- Any pertinent information obtained by group members during the Individual Portion of the assignment
- The ultimate compromise reached by the group
Be sure to reference all sources using APA style.
For information on Group Projects, please read the Group Project Guidelines.
Please add your file.
For assistance with your assignment, please use your text, Web resources, and all course materials.
To get a custom written paper, place an order with us!
Additional Benefits for you
♦ 24/7 customer support
♦ On-time delivery guarantee
♦ Plagiarism-free research papers
♦ Affordable and student-friendly prices
♦ Scholarly-rich custom-written papers
♦ 100% privacy and confidentiality