Analyze the health status of a specific minority group. Select a minority group that is represented in the United States (examples include
American Indian/Alaskan Native, Asian American, Black or African American, Hispanic or Latino, Native Hawaiian, or Pacific Islander).
In an essay of 750-1,000 words, compare and contrast the health status of the minority group you have selected to the national average.
Consider the cultural, socioeconomic, and sociopolitical barriers to health. How do race, ethnicity, socioeconomic status, and education
influence health for the minority group you have selected? Address the following in your essay:
1. What is the current health status of this minority group?
2. How is health promotion defined by this group?
3. What health disparities exist for this group?
4. Describe at least one approach using the three levels of health promotion prevention (primary, secondary, and tertiary) that is
likely to be the most effective given the unique needs of the minority group you have selected. Provide an explanation of why it might be
the most effective choice.
Cite a minimum of three references in the paper.
You will find important health information regarding minority groups by exploring the following Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
1. Minority Health: http://www.cdc.gov/minorityhealth/index.html
2. Racial and Ethnic Approaches to Community Health (REACH): http://www.cdc.gov/chronicdisease/resources/publications/aag/reach.htm
3. Racial and Ethnic Minority Populations: http://www.samhsa.gov/specific-populations/racial-ethnic-minority
Prepare this assignment according to the guidelines found in the APA Style Guide.
An abstract is not required.
This assignment uses a rubric. Please review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for
You are required to submit this assignment to Turnitin.