Topic: Final Paper: Letter of Advice
Imagine that a newly engaged couple hears that you are taking a course in
interpersonal communication, and wants advice for their relationship.
Based on what you have learned in this course, what advice would you give
them regarding how to effectively use interpersonal communication in
their relationship? Write your paper in the form of a letter.
Choose at least five (5) of the twelve (12) course learning outcomes
below to help guide your letter: For each of the five learning outcomes
that you use, create a separate section with a heading that reflects the
learning outcome that you are using.
1. Explain the principles and misconceptions in effective
2. Identify the barriers to effective interpersonal interactions.
3. Describe the process by which self-concept is developed and
4. Assess their personal communications and improve their
5. Develop strategies for active, critical, and empathic listening.
6. Recognize how words have the power to create and affect attitudes,
behavior, and perception.
7. Understand how perceptions, emotions, and nonverbal expression
affect interpersonal relationships.
8. Define emotional intelligence and its role in effective
9. Evaluate appropriate levels of self-disclosure in relationships.
10. Describe strategies for managing interpersonal conflicts.
11. Recognize how self-concept and defensive and supportive messages
and behaviors create positive and negative communication climates.
12. Understand the impact of gender and culture on interpersonal
Write an eight to ten page paper (excluding title and reference pages) in
the form of a letter. In this paper, address at least five concepts
(choose the concepts that you feel are most important to successful
communication within interpersonal relationships). Your advice cannot be
based on your own opinions; you must back up your advice with research,
which may include readings from this course or from outside sources. In
total, your paper must include at least five (5) sources, including at
least two (2) from the Ashford University Library. This is a formal paper
and should utilize proper grammar, complete sentences, appropriate
paragraphs, and correct citations/references in proper APA (6th edition)
style. However, you will write this paper in the format of a letter to
the newly-engaged couple, and may address the couple throughout the
paper. For example: “Dear Sara and Tim, my advice to you for a successful
relationship is…” Along with explaining concepts and including research,
you may also use your personal experiences as examples of the research
and advice that you are offering.
The paper must be formatted according to APA style. Cite your resources
in text and on the reference page. For information regarding APA samples
and tutorials, visit the Ashford Writing Center, within the Learning
Resources tab on the left navigation toolbar.
Additional materials: not defined