Topic: MRI of the brain and spines
1. Discuss the role of MRI in the assessment of Alzheimer’s Disease (approx 1200 words)
2. There are several advanced MRI techniques currently being used to evaluate the spinal cord. Discuss these techniques. Your answer should include Magnetisation Transfer (MT), Diffusion Tensor Imaging (DTI), Ultrashort TE (UTE) and Spectroscopy (approx 1200 words)
3. Review the anatomy and MR appearance of the brachial plexus. Suggest an MRI protocol for a patient presenting with thoracic outlet syndrome ( approx 1200words).
FOR QUESTION 1:
“Alzheimer Disease Imaging” by Tarakad S Ramachandran, MBBS, FRCP(C), FACP, FRCP (http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/336281-overview#aw2aab6b4)
-“Magnetic resonance imaging of Alzheimer’s disease” by Stéphane Lehéricy1, 2 , Malgorzata Marjanska3 , Lilia Mesrob2 , Marie Sarazin4 and Serge Kinkingnehun2(http://link.springer.com.ezproxy.library.uq.edu.au/article/10.1007/s00330-006-0341-z/fulltext.html)
-Vemuri, P., & Jack, C. R. (2010). Role of structural MRI in Alzheimer’s disease. Alzheimer’s research and therapy, 2:23
FOR QUESTION 2:
-Magnetization Transfer Magnetic Resonance Imaging of the Brain, Spinal Cord, and optic Nerve. By M Filippi 2007
-Diffusion Imaging of the Human Spinal Cord and the
-Tyler, D. J., Robson, M. D., Henkelman, R. M., Young, I. R., & Bydder, G. M. (2007). Magnetic resonance imaging with ultra-short TE (UTE) pulse sequence : technical consideration. Journal of magnetic resonance imaging, 25, 279-289
-Taha, T. F., & Badawy, A. E. (2012). Feasibility of H-MR spectroscopy in evaluation of cervical spondylotic myelopathy. EJRNM, 44(1),93-99.doi:10.1016/j.ejrnm.2012.11.001
For question 2: I would suggest you start with a definition and brief explanation of each technique used and then how it is used to evaluate the spinal cord.
– Castillo, M.(2005). Imaging the anatomy of the brachial plexus: review and self-assessment module . American Journal of Roentgenology,185(6)
-Antani, M., & Cho, K. J. (2013). Thoracic outlet syndrome imaging. Medscape (http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/418670-overview#a21)
– Satti, S. R., & Chew, F. S. (2013). Brachial plexus evaluation with MRI. MEDSCAPE (http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/345636-overview)
INSTRUCTION-The subject of this essay is “MRI of the Brain and Spines”, Thus the essay must be from this perspective.
-There is no need to make an introduction about the MRI since we are already specialized on this field. The introduction might be about the disease in the question and the role in MRI in the disease.
-Once mentioning the appearance of any part, it must be compared with another part. For example, the ….is hypointense compare with white matter and so on.