Topic: public/community health problem analysis
Study Books Used in Class:
Description: I will up load this from a word document so it will be easier to read.
In Week Five, students will complete a public/community health problem analysis and prepare a 7-8 page paper or ten to twelve slide PowerPoint Presentation (exclusive of title and references pages) in which students:
1. Identify a population based public/community health problem in one’s county and/or state. Selection could be based on one of the following:
a. Cultural/ethnic group, e.g. Native Americans, Russians, Latinos, Black Americans, etc.
b. A disease/disability group, e.g. diabetics, persons with AIDS (PWA), people with multiple sclerosis, Alzheimer’s disease, etc.
c. Health coverage category, e.g. Medicare, Medicaid, Medi-Cal (California), Women, Infants, Children (WIC) program, etc..
d. Geographic area, e.g. Appalachia, homeless, Indian reservation, etc.
2. Identify and provide a description of the selected health problem.
3. Obtain epidemiology/demographic data from one’s local county and/or state health department that documents the problem, provides parameters, and
defines/illustrates the scope of the problem.
4. Research, identify, and describe a minimum of four resources currently available/providing services to/for the selected group. These may include any of the
following: programs/ agencies which provide specialized services/interventions, or grant monies. Describe the programs and discuss how the
availability/existence of the program/service is communicated to the selected population group i.e. how does the population find out about the availability of
services or the existence of the organization/agency?
5. Identify and discuss the barriers to solving your selected public/community health problem in terms of the following:
a. services needed
c. communication challenges
d. regulatory issues
e. inter-agency scope of delivery and care
f. financing/economics/budgetary issues
6. Identify and discuss the major stakeholders that would be involved in solving the public/community health problem selected. Are there any agencies with
conflicting agendas and/or crossovers of service provision?
7. Based on your analysis, make three recommendations to solve your identified problem.
8. Provide data and reference citations to support and lend credibility to your recommendations