choose one out of the four questions
1. Evaluate the main causes of overseas migration of the Sikhs from Punjab from the second half of the 19th century up to the present period.
[For the answer you will need to focus on the changing socio-economic environment of the Punjab during this period and how this may impact upon migration. Also how the socio- economic environment changed in the post-WW2 period, both in Europe and North America. The period can be sub-divided into two parts: the British period upto 1947 and post independent period after 1947 to the present. The British period would include impacts of British rule]
2. Sikh migration to the Pacific coast (both USA and Canada) began at the turn of the twentieth century but almost came to a halt within two decades. What were the responses of both local people and government agencies to this new immigration? How did the Sikhs respond – both to their situation in North America and to the perceived situation in their homeland, the Punjab?
[For the answer you will need to say something about the prevailing socio-economic environment, immigration flows, socio-economic activities of Sikhs and inter-ethnic relations, responses of government agencies and also the radical (organizational) response by Sikhs especially about the perceived situation in Punjab]
3. Sikhs as a global community engage in both transnational practices as well as maintaining strong linkages with their homeland (Punjab). Focusing specifically on their homeland links, identify the different types of linkages and evaluate their impacts.
[For the answer you need to briefly discuss Sikhs as an example of a networked global community and then focus specifically on the nature of linkages they maintain with their homeland of Punjab. Emphasis needs to be on homeland links. To obtain a high grade you need to evaluate the kinds of impacts these linkages have on Sikhs both in the homeland and in the diaspora]
4. In the post 9/11 period Sikhs have continued to face problems associated with ‘mistaken identity’. How have Sikhs mobilized in the USA to raise greater awareness about their religious identity and contribution to US society and economy?
[To answer this question you need to explain the issue of ‘mistaken identity’ and its consequences for Sikhs in the aftermath of 9/11 and the subsequent rise of civil rights advocacy among US Sikhs and evaluate its effectiveness.]
General Assessment Criteria to be used in Grading Papers:
1.OVERALL STRUCTURE OF THE PAPER
Does it have a clear, easy to follow overall structure – an introduction, main body and conclusion? Are arguments developed logically? Are conclusions correctly drawn?
2.CONTENT AND ANALYSIS
Does the paper provide a context or statement of the problem in the introduction? Is there evidence of relevant and adequate background research? Does it have well explained/elaborated arguments?
Are arguments well supported by examples or data/diagrams? Are arguments convincing? Are the aims/objectives met?
4. COMMUNICATION AND TECHNICAL SKILLS
Is the paper well written, presented and organized and free from grammar/spelling errors? Is it coherent, flowing and well-structured? Is the referencing style adequate and consistently applied?