Belton Health and Beauty Company
After three years of development, Belton Health and Beauty Company is preparing to launch a new technologically advanced vibrating razor called ‘Clean Edge’. The innovative new design of Clean Edge provides superior performance by stimulating the hair follicles to lift the hair from the skin, allowing for a closer shave. The company has already decided to introduce Clean Edge into the UK men’s market where it has a strong presence. The company is struggling with how best to position the product for the launch. The favoured strategy is to release Clean Edge as a “niche” product, targeting the high-end market of fastidious groomers looking for superior skin care products. An alternative strategy would be to release the product into the highly competitive mainstream razor market. In order to support the proposed high-end niche strategy, a large scale survey will be conducted to:
• Estimate the demand for high-end male shaving products;
• Identify and characterise the different buying segments for high end male shaving products;
• To provide recommendations for how the Clean Edge should be marketed in the UK.
TASK: You are the market research manager in charge of sampling and you have been tasked with providing a report that addresses the following. Word limit is 3,000 and the proposal should address the below:
A. Formally define the research population. Identify and evaluate the merits of alternative sampling frames. Suggest the most appropriate one and justify your selection. (30%)
B. Review the main sampling approaches, propose which one should be adopted and justify your decision. (10%)
C. Review the various sampling methods of the adopted approach, propose the one that should be employed and justify your recommendation. (50%)
D. Provide a detailed implementation plan if the specific approach including identifying potential problems and how these could be mitigated. (10%)
Assessment and Marking Criteria
The following assessment criteria apply:
– The extent to which you provide a DETAILED and CRITICAL EVALUATION of the related methodologies and or techniques. A mere summary, list, description will NOT be sufficient.
– SELECTION and full JUSTIFICATION of the proposed/ adopted methodologies and/ or technique in solving the specific marketing or business problem.
– Technical competence of IMPLEMENTATION of the ADOPTED TECHNIQUE. Systematic and detailed debate of the various steps or actions involved.
– The QUALITY of CONCLUSIONS drawn and, where applicable, of any recommendations made.