WAL-MART CHAIN STORES
Research and choose one international corporation to discuss (Wal-Mart). use the Fortune Global 500 to help to choose a corporation (http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/global500/2009/). The corporation chosen may be headquartered in either the United States or a foreign country.
1. Provide a company overview, and identify the countries in which the corporation operates.
2. Identify the types of market systems and types of legal systems that exist in the countries where the corporation operates. What effect do these have on the company’s operations?
3. Discuss the possible sources of political risk for: (a) the countries in which the company has a presence and (b) the basic nature of their products and
4. Identify the stakeholders the company must satisfy. Why is this process more difficult for companies operating internationally?
5. Summarize the company’s code of conduct. State the reasons why it is in the company’s best interest to follow its code of conduct when operating in foreign countries.
6. Does the company have any social programs in the country/countries where it operates? If so, briefly describe one.
7. What are the indicators the company might monitor to guide their investment and actions in the future?
Courser, Z. (2005). Wal-Mart and the Politics of American Retai. Washington DC: Competitive Enterprise Institute.
Pereira, M. (2002). Wal-Mart: Staying on top of the fortune 500. The Graduate School of Political Management, George Washington University.
Sobel, R. S. and Dean, A. M. (2006). Has Wal-Mart buried mom and pop?: the impact of Wal-
Mart on self-employment and small establishments in the united states. Western Economic
Towers, D. (2004). Wal-Mart: A glocalised company. Managing Global Business. Lyon: University of Jean Moulin
Zimmerman, A. and Hudson, K. (2006), Managing Wal-Mart: How U.S. Store Chief Hopes to
Fix Wal-Mart. The Wall street Journal, Monday Extra.
PLACE AN ORDER TODAY & GET 15 % DIS COUNT (CODE GAC 15 )