Topic: Final Paper: Letter of Advice
You can choose any 5 that you want. I really don’t have any preference. I
just want a GOOD PAPER. Looking forward to reading what you wrote.
Thanking you in advance.
Imagine that a newly engaged couple hears that you are taking a course in
interpersonal communication, and wants advice for their relationship.
Based on what you have learned in this course, what advice would you give
them regarding how to effectively use interpersonal communication in
their relationship? Write your paper in the form of a letter.
Choose at least five (5) of the twelve (12) course learning outcomes
below to help guide your letter: For each of the five learning outcomes
that you use, create a separate section with a heading that reflects the
learning outcome that you are using.
1. Explain the principles and misconceptions in effective
2. Identify the barriers to effective interpersonal interactions.
3. Describe the process by which self-concept is developed and
4. Assess their personal communications and improve their
5. Develop strategies for active, critical, and empathic listening.
6. Recognize how words have the power to create and affect attitudes,
behavior, and perception.
7. Understand how perceptions, emotions, and nonverbal expression
affect interpersonal relationships.
8. Define emotional intelligence and its role in effective
9. Evaluate appropriate levels of self-disclosure in relationships.
10. Describe strategies for managing interpersonal conflicts.
11. Recognize how self-concept and defensive and supportive messages
and behaviors create positive and negative communication climates.
12. Understand the impact of gender and culture on interpersonal
Write an eight to ten page paper (excluding title and reference pages) in
the form of a letter. In this paper, address at least five concepts
(choose the concepts that you feel are most important to successful
communication within interpersonal relationships). Your advice cannot be
based on your own opinions; you must back up your advice with research,
which may include readings from this course or from outside sources. In
total, your paper must include at least five (5) sources, including at
least two (2) from the Ashford University Library. This is a formal paper
and should utilize proper grammar, complete sentences, appropriate
paragraphs, and correct citations/references in proper APA (6th edition)
style. However, you will write this paper in the format of a letter to
the newly-engaged couple, and may address the couple throughout the
paper. For example: “Dear Sara and Tim, my advice to you for a successful
relationship is…” Along with explaining concepts and including research,
you may also use your personal experiences as examples of the research
and advice that you are offering.
The paper must be formatted according to APA style. Cite your resources
in text and on the reference page. For information regarding APA samples
and tutorials, visit the Ashford Writing Center, within the Learning
Resources tab on the left navigation toolbar.
Must be eight to ten double-spaced pages in length, and formatted
according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.
Must include a title page with the following:
Title of paper
Course name and number
Must begin with an introductory paragraph that has a succinct thesis
Must address the topic of the paper with critical thought.
Must end with a conclusion that reaffirms your thesis.
Must use at least five (5) scholarly sources, including a minimum of two
(2) from the Ashford University Library.
Must document all sources (both within the text and on a separate
reference page) in APA style, as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.
Must include a separate reference page, formatted according to APA style
as outlined in the
Ashford Writing Center.
Sole, K. (2011).Making connections: Understanding interpersonal
communication. San Diego, CA: Bridgepoint Education, Inc.
Additional materials: not defined