Guidelines and Evaluation Criteria
Please note that the criteria for this analysis are different from the first analysis, so please read the guidelines carefully.
1. Pick an episode of the Simpsons (please list the name of the episode). It does not need to be one that is on the schedule and should not be one of the episodes from the current season that we have discussed. You should pick one that is addressing an issue of importance to your own study and area of interest.
2. Provide a well-crafted analysis of the episode. Ideally this should include a very brief synopsis of the story line, or subplot, under consideration and a more detailed exploration of an issue or topic that is inspired by the episode. Do Not provide a play by play accounting of the episode.
For this assignment, the focus should be on constructing an argument (thesis) and supporting that position. This is key – you need to have a position or argument. Provide a strong introduction, and a brief synopsis, then using the episode as a platform to expand your ideas. Develop a position and support your position with reference to the episode, our class readings, or other references. Using references and proper citation is a required part of this assignment.
3. As with all work in this course, there is a great deal of flexibility, however, the paper is expected to be presented as a well thought out academic work. It should be prepared using APA or MLA guidelines for citing and reference.
4. The analysis is expected to be short, in the range of 300-500 words (1 1/2 to 3 pages).
5. List your name on the paper and submit your analysis here in doc,docx format.
______ Presentation and summary (40 pts)
Concise and accurate analysis
Identification of presentation methods and their effectiveness
Argument is persuasive and related
Ideas are developed logically
Conclusion is effective
______ Organization (30 pts)
Introduction engages and provides orientation
Paragraphs transitions are clear and logical
Discussion well structured
Development of thesis or idea
______ Style and grammar (20 pts)
Well structured and interesting
Usage and choice of words/terms
______ Documentation (10 pts)
Correct citation of source (at a minimum this would include citing the episode)
Use of secondary sources to support concepts
Integration of citations into work
SECRETS OF A SUCCESSFUL MARRIAGE EPISODE 103
THE SIMPSONS AND PHILOSOPHY THE D’OH OF HOMER BY IRWIN, CONARD, AND SKOBLE
LEAVING SPRINGFIELD THE SIMPSONS AND THE POSSIBILITY OF OPPOSITIAL CULTURE BY ALBERTI